A blog dedicated to sharing my experience here in London with my friends and family back home and abroad.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, May 7, 2009

    21 in Dubrovnik, Croatia

    Just as any birthday, turning 21 years old begs the question, "so how did you celebrate?" My celebration was anything but your average bar night.

    My last day in Dubrovnik our tour group took an island hopping tour. This all day trip included 3 islands, on-board music and oh yeah... all you can drink wine all for 150 Kune ($28 USD). The small boat held our group of 12 students from the Americas, Europe, Africa, Asia and 2 British group leaders (I will explain why I was part of this group in a later entry). Dubrovnik is settled along the Adriatic coast and the surrounding area is simply gorgeous.

    The day started with a bit of vino on the boat, stopping at the islands to chill out on the beach or check out the gift shops. At the last island my group surprised me with "The Super Waffle"


    This waffle was not your average ego, it was a lush, rich piece of deliciousness topped off with cherry ice cream, whip cream, pears and strawberry syrup. Out of this world.

    Following a toast to yours truly, we headed back to the boat for the last leg of our journey. Our group was sharing the boat with a group of 60-65 year old Bulgarians and a couple of Irish people. I'm not sure what came over everyone, but the wine started to get passed around and the music cranked louder. After 15 min my group leader yelled out "Let the birthday boy drive the boat" I didn't think it was possible for my face to get any redder after all the wine I had enjoyed but somehow that did it. Before I knew it I was piloting the vessel with the supervision of our half drunk, sketchy looking captain (don't worry I could have rowed faster than this boat). So I've got everything under control at the wheel, when the other crew member hands me a plastic cup and pours me half a glass of Grappa . For those who've never had the opportunity to enjoy Grappa, it smells like windex, tastes like windex... and its 86 proof, it should come with a Mr. Yuck sticker on it. Before I manage to take down the toxic fluid, the captain stops me and asks "how old I you?" I respond "21"; "oh that's no good (takes my cup and fills it to the top)." So everyone on the boat starts in with the birthday song, I somehow manage to take down the grappa and not crash the boat in the process.


    Soon afterward, one of the Bulgarians (who had his fair share of grappa) started dancing. Before long the whole boat was on their feet, dancing to "It's Raining Men"

    What a day!

    [This Bulgarian could groove.]

    Special thanks to everyone who made this day so well... unique!

    ~RSL

    1 comment: