A blog dedicated to sharing my experience here in London with my friends and family back home and abroad.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, May 8, 2009

    Marmite, eww

    People often label British food as worse than it actually is. Something I've learned is that this is not entirely true at all. London is an absolutely massive city that offers up cuisine from everywhere around the world and finding a decent meal is really not all that difficult especially if your living in the city.

    So here are just a few of my favorite places to eat in the U.K. capital just in case you ever find yourself over here.
    • Hummus Bros - A rather different concept, this small cafe offers meals based entirely on hummus spread. This isn't your cold grocery aisle pasty peas hummus, this place offers a warm plate of well-seasoned hummus, olive oil, pita and your choice of chicken, beef or pork to top it off. It's simple, filling and making me way to hungry just thinking about it.
    • The Hawksmoor - Feeling a little spendy? Want to try London's juiciest steaks and self-proclaimed "best chips (french fries)?" Then the Hawksmoor is for you. I've only been here once, but this posh but quaint steakhouse delivers piping hot cuts of meat, generous salads and some of the oddest desserts I've ever encountered.
    • Cafe Rouge - This is a French chain of restarants all over London. A bit pricey, but a good selection of fish and meats in generous portions an wonderful side dishes.
    • Brick Lane - This is not a restarant, rather a street filled with Indian restarants that I can't say differ that much from eachother. So gather some friends, head down the street, negotiate a dinner deal with the doorman and enjoy. Did you know Chicken Tikka Masala is widely thought of as Britian's national dish??
    • Tortilla - So you miss chipotle? Go to Tortilla.
    • The Greenwich Union - Hands down my favorite pub. They brew their own beer, and serve a delicious assortment of gastropub dishes. Try the salmon, it's out of this world.
    • 24 Hour Beigal Bake - On Brick Lane, this 24/7 bagel shop serves up some some wonderful sandwiches and the best corn beef in London (referred to as "salt beef"). Make sure you go to the one with the white sign, it's the original beigal bake the yellow beigal bake is a knock-off. Wash it all down right nextdoor at Brick Lane Coffee. They get all their wonderful coffee roasts from Papua New Guinea.
    One last thing, if your looking for something more... traditional, do not I repeat DO NOT try Marmite (also known as vegemite). It's disgusting. Stay away from this tar like substance.

    ~RSL

    1 comment:

    1. LMAO....we had an Aussie exchange student and she passed around the Marmite. My friends tried to feed me this, thinking I would hate it.....they forgot there's nothing we don't eat in China....I actually love this stuff. We eat it as dip, for raw veggies like cucumbers, spring onion, etc. :P

      But I heard that Aussies eat it on toast....now that's GROSS.

      Ben

      ReplyDelete